A PERSONAL TRIUMPH!!!

For years, I've wanted to know how to knit. I've asked relatives to show me. I've tried winging it. I've bought instructional books, which left me frustrated and confused because of pictures and explanations like this:

You might as well be showing me how to build a dinosaur from scratch. Yeah, exactly.

 Well, today, after years of attempting to learn to knit and getting results like this...

and this...

and sometimes this...

and suffering in frustration like this, I was on the verge of pronouncing it witchcraft and throwing my needles out the window... when all of a sudden, something happened. I got past row one... and then, row two... and then...

  FINALLY!
I know it's not much, just a little thin strip of knitting, but I feel like I've just climbed my personal crafting Everest. Not to toot my own horn, but usually, various arts and crafts come easily to me. However, knitting has always been an insurmountable task! I'm so excited to start making some stuff. I've still got tons to figure out, and I'm totally afraid of purling and joining stuff together, and all that, but I'll dream big. Really big. Maybe for my next project, I'll attempt this...

Because a scarf can never be too ginormous, right?

To what do I owe my success? Well, I think I have to give credit where it's due, and thanks to this video from Threadbanger, this is no longer impossible for me:


Homemade scarf, you WILL be mine!

Comments

Holly said…
When I taught myself to knit I used the website www.knittinghelp.com a lot! She has some awesome, awesome videos.
Thanks for the tip Holly! I will be checking the site out for sure! :)
Nicole said…
Online videos are my go-to when learning a specific stitch. Also the Vogue knitting Dictionary is helpful.

But really the best is to take a class at a local yarn store. I'm a pretty advanced knitter but took a class to help me tackle Scandinavian mittens and large sweater projects. They pay for themselves when you consider the investment in yarn & tools for unfinished projects.
Nicole, thank you! Taking a class is an excellent idea. I will definitely be looking around to see if there is one offered in my area.

I pulled up a video yesterday on the cable stitch. I may give that a go soon, just a little piece for a trial. I will hit up the Vogue Knitting Dictionary as well. Thanks again!

The Best of The Ugly Sweater